What I'm Working On Now
Ever get asked, "So what are you up to now?" Yea me too. So this page answers that question. Inspired by Derek Sivers /now page movement.
Current Plans For 2020
- Spend as much time as possible with my daughters. My oldest is now in college across the country so my time with her is limited, which is all the more reason to make our time together count.
- Write every day - Journal.
- Write every day - Creative (blog, tech, marketing emails, newsletters, guest posts, etc.)
- Read at least 15 new books in 2020. I've had a goal of 16 or 20 the last few years and never seemed to make it. So I'm lowering it to 16 this year. You can follow the progress on Goodreads. (2019 challenge results)
- Launch AnyHow, formerly known as Grinch, to the public.
- Work hard on business development for Insight Miners.
- Complete water project at Colonial San Martin (rollover from 2019).
- Work from at least 5 different countries, aka "workations", in 2019. This is a lower number than the previous few years because I am trying to focus on products a lot this year. This involves staying in one place more often (at least for me)
- Attend at least 1 non-tech related conference.
- "Ship" something daily. Progress displayed on my WIP Profile
What's Actually Going On
Actively spending every possible moment I can with my girls. Even if it's just us in the house doing nothing and watching a show about nothing.
To end 2019 I spent a lot of the month of December writing help docs and other items for AnyHow. That includes blog posts, emails, launch pages, etc. I've also done some writing for this site. I hope to continue this momentum (especially journaling, which has been over 6 months since I've written anything there.)
Currently reading [Bird By Bird][bird] which funny enough is about writing. As you can see above, I need help! Maybe this book will give me a kick in the ass. See the Goodreads Challenge for goal progress.
AnyHow is in the process of being launched, the public facing website is up, etc. In the next week or two it should be officially launched.
Things are progressing very nicely here. I can not disclose to much but in my 2019 retrospective I wrote a bit about things. Read that if you're interested.
I bought a new house last March in Nicaragua (read more here) and that has been amazing. The construction is done though there are always little odds and ends I'm working on. I have to admit it's a huge pain but it'll be worth it in the end.
Colonial San Martin
Unfortunately no progress here. Part of the reason is the new house mentioned above.
I'm not sure if I'll make 5 countries again in 2020 but I do plan on it. Even if it's just a short trip down to Mexico or something. As of now, the only thing on the books is Nicaragua (obviously) and Costa Rica. Potential Italy and Turkey trips are in the early planning phases but it has a lot to do with availability.
Nothing planned as of now. This is probably a "nice to do" but not likely to happen.
I feel I've been shipping most days however I should focus to use WIP more. I am going to try and update it. Maybe it makes sense to wire up my Trello boards to WIP so that it's automatically updated and I don't have to think about it. Then again, do I have time to tackle this small issue? Probably not. It's much faster to just jump to Telegram and mark something done.
Here is my WIP 2019 Year in Review page. It's pretty neat.
Last updated January 1st, 2020.